This Friday
ALBA ministers to set joint stance over Libya aggression

Caracas, 09 Sep. AVN .- The Foreign Ministers of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA) will meet this Friday in Caracas to set a joint stance in the face of the aggression of the United States and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) against Libya.

The encounter was announced last Wednesday by Venezuela"s Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro, who had expressed that the proposal of the bloc will be taken to the United Nations Organization (UN), the African Union and the BRIC group (Brazil, Russia, India and China).

“From there, we will have a debate with very important resolutions and proposals,” said Maduro, who confirmed the attendance to the meeting of the diplomatic representatives of Ecuador, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Dominica, Cuba, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Antigua and Barbuda.

The ALBA representatives have began to arrive in Caracas and it is expected that the meeting would begin this Friday morning at the seat of Venezuela"s foreign ministry.

Common items

The leader of Venezuela"s diplomacy stressed last Wednesday that the statements released by the ALBA governments during the last months aim at rejecting the pro-imperial forces represented by the National Transition Council of Libya (NTC).

“The NTC is an agency which answers to a brutal, criminal foreign occupation and intervention and to a war imposed to the Libyan people,” Maduro said.

Venezuela"s Government has reiterated as well its rejection to the West"s imperial bombings in Libya, which have resulted in thousands of civilian victims and a serious humanitarian situation in a Arab country which had the highest standard of living in the African continent previous to the foreign intervention.

Since the conflict began, Venezuela has fostered to reach a peaceful solution without foreign intervention.

Last week, Venezuela"s President Hugo Chavez expressed his wish that in Libya is brought to a standstill “that madness. It is a madness what occurs in Libya.”

“I hope the proposals of Venezuela (peace commission) and the African Union (peace road map) and of many friends in the world are accomplished,” he said during a telephone call carried live on local television.

The government of Ecuador has agreed with Venezuela by rejecting the imperial aggression. Besides, it has insisted on the need of respecting human rights and the self-determination of the Libyan people.

“NATO"s attack against Libya is unacceptable. They do with Libya the same thing they did with the invasion on Iraq,” expressed last Saturday Ecuador"s Rafael Correa in his television program.

Meanwhile, Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega has rejected the legitimacy of the NTC as authority in Libya. Recently, he confirmed that the Caracas" meeting will be useful for the ALBA states “to take an official public stance.”

According to Ortega, that meeting will result in a public statement in which they will demand a halt to bombings in Libya and the NATO military intervention, as well as freedom for Libyans to develop their own peace process.

Bolivia has remained in favor of a peaceful solution in the African country and rejected any military intervention.

President Evo Morales -the same as his counterparts of the Bolivarian bloc- expressed that the massacre boosted by the West in Libya seeks to take possession of the nation"s aquifer and energy resources.

On March this year, during a meeting in Caracas, Dominica"s Information Minister Ambrose George expressed that his country supported “the efforts fostered by the Bolivarian Government of Venezuela” to reach a peaceful solution in Libya.

AVN 09/09/2011 11:07
Compartir en Facebook